2008 Cabernet Franc Geek Notes
A rainy, cool May and June started delayed fruit set. The result was smaller berries that impart concentrated flavors thanks to the warmer temperatures during summer and late September.
The grapes are harvest from the Willard vineyard located in the Yakima Valley near Prosser, WA. This vineyard, planted in the late 80′s demonstrates the elegant flavors and white pepper of classic Yakima Valley Cabernet Franc.
· Crushed and then put into fermentation tanks to cold soak for 2 days to allow color and flavor extraction.
· Fermented 10-14 days in stainless steel tanks, hand punched 3 times a day, temperatures not exceed 85 degrees fahrenheit.
· Aged 21 months in 25% new barrels; 1/2 American oak, 1/2 French oak.
· Blended with 25% Merlot from Wells Vineyard, Yakima Valley.
· Racked 4 times and coarse filtered
· Harvested: 11/05/08
· Bottled: 8/12/10
· Released: 7/1/11
· Brix: 28.2°
· pH: 3.88
· TA: 5.3 g/liter
· Alcohol: 13.6%
· Cases produced: 130
· BTI - Silve, 89 points “Highly Recommended”